Tuesday 7 December 2010

Chinese Water Deer:Part 2

The trip to Woodwalton Fen on Friday 3rd December that I mentioned in my previous post produced the long awaited Bearded Tit (unfortunately no photograph, the little blighter was too quick for me!) and also a Marsh Harrier and Common Buzzard, but the close views I got of Chinese Water Deer were quite amazing!

I must have been in the right place as far as the wind was concerned as the two animals shown below came exremely close, one getting as near as 15 feet before noticing me and making a run for it!




Having a good shake!


This photo was taken by just using the camera, without the `zoom` from my spotting scope, showing how close this deer got to me before noticing my ugly mug and `darting` off!
Below is a video of the deer which is in the first two photo`s. Again, this animal got extremely close until vanishing into the reed bed.


The first two photo`s are digiscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30, the third was hand held Lumix FS15 and the video was videoscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30.

6 comments:

  1. An amazing piece of film John. This animal hardly looks capable of survival in this weather!
    Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bazza, I think they are quite hardy animals and their coat is extremely thick. The ones I saw were still managing to graze, even with the snow on the ground.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John,
    that is really incredibly near (of course I believe you - I mean: seldom that they come so near) Maybe their senses are lulled (or dulled?) by the lots of snow you have in England?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don`t know what it was Britta, I suspect it was the wind direction and the fact that I `hid` behind some reeds and kept quite still. Having said all that, I was still pretty amazed that they came so close!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is quite amazing, isn't it.

    Hi John, thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving your comment the other day. I've posted some pics of birds from The Farm (nothing compared to yours, of course), come take a look?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by Grandpa, I will certainly take a look at your pics, I am sure you get truly stunning birds where you live, I will be green with envy!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.