Thursday 9 December 2010

Sparrowhawk

This Sparrowhawk has been hanging around my garden for the past few weeks, making the odd dash at the Goldfinches and Blackbirds to try and grab himself something to eat. I have yet to see him make be successful.
For the past two years a pair of Sparrowhawks have nested in the small group of trees behind our garden and one always remains over winter. I suppose he is using me feeding smaller birds as his own restaurant, not that I mind too much, it is after all another example of nature adapting to survive!

Digiscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30
It is a shame that the twig from the Ash tree is in the way, but I hope it doesn`t detract too much from the magnificent bird!

4 comments:

  1. With a Sparrowhawk hanging around I'm surprised that there are any other birds in your garden!
    Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you good at taking these photos, John, but it looks like you’ve got to be pretty good just at spotting some of these birds. Glad you do though.
    The enigmatic, masked blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the other birds are just so hungry at the moment that they still come to the feeders. They are a bit wary though!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou my masked friend. You get used to noticing a slight movement in amongst bushes and trees, just hoping that one day it will be a real rarity!
    I am glad you like my humble efforts at photography!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.