Monday 28 February 2011

Grey Heron


The Grey Heron is a gift for birdwatchers. A tall, grey bird that is elegantly marked and pretty easy to see, I am sure most people have seen one.

The heron has a flaw though, some people don`t like them because they quite like eating fish and people with fish ponds see this as a bad thing. They go to great lengths to stop the heron eating their pride and joy, infact I have heard people boasting about shooting them, poisoning them and even trapping them and watching them die, all because they take advantage of our likeness for having gold coloured fish swimming in a pond in the back garden! They are called by some `vermin`, it is amazing what birds have been called `vermin` over time. Birds such as Osprey, Golden Eagle, Red Kite, Green Woodpecker, Dipper, Jay, Cormorant, Starling, Bullfinch and even the humble House Sparrow have all been labelled as vermin and pests in the past, but why I hear you ask! Interfering with man is the simple answer. These birds have all been shot, trapped and poisoned by man because they feed on things that we would rather have for ourselves or don`t `fit` in to our lives!

The Grey Heron is widespread over the British Isles and there are over 13,000 pairs breeding in Britain and Ireland. They breed in colonies, which are called heronries although they sometimes nest singly.

6 comments:

  1. Hi John, they are always worth photographing as you can get some interesting angles with them. These "People" need to realise that the Herons were probably here first and they catch and eat there own fish. Whereas most people eat fish relying on others to catch them for them.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true Roy, but unfortunately there are some who think because humans are top of the chain we can `do` what we like with the natural world! It gets me very upset and annoyed.
    Thanks for the comment ;)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. I'm a huge fan of the heron myself - there are a couple that stand for ages right outside a window near my workplace. There's also a little spot in ferry meadows where I can sometimes stand just a few yards from one and watch it fish... it must be the same one each time i go as i can't normally get close to one without it being spooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tire of herons, though the one we see near me is the great blue heron. If I were able to have a pond, its purpose would be to attract herons (and other birds), certainly not to give primacy to goldfish. At least, in this case, it appears your gray heron is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan, thanks for the comment. Grey Herons can be quite hypnotic, can`t they? I always find that they are quite jumpy birds, they fly very easily.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Raining Acorns. The Great BLue Heron is a stunning bird that I have only seen in photo`s, maybe one day I will see one for real!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.