Saturday 12 March 2011

Mediterranean Gull

Below are couple of ropey `record` shots of an adult Mediterranean Gull that was at Ferry Meadows Country Park on Thursday and Friday. It was present with Common Gulls and the more familiar Black-headed Gulls and was showing signs of moulting into its summer plumage.

The Mediterranean Gull is slightly larger and more robust than the Black-headed Gull, with a larger head and a thicker blood-red bill. In spring adults appear white with a black hood (the Black-headed Gull has a chocolate brown hood), as the back and wings are pale grey and wing-tips are white. Adults have a complete moult between June and September and then have a partial moult to acquire their black hood between February and April.

In Britain this gull often mixes with Black-headed Gulls and sometimes breeds with that species. There are over 60 pairs that breed in this country at over 27 locations, mostly in the south and is specially protected. In world terms this is a rare gull with a very restricted distribution, with 99% of the world population being found in the former USSR.



Digiscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30

2 comments:

  1. Hi John. I saw 30+ at Hayling Island Oyster Beds yesterday mixed in with the usual Black-headed. My results due a very stiff wind weren't really up to scratch but I might post a couple soon just for fun. Cheers FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank,
    Crikey! That`s a number I can only dream of seeing on my local patch. We seem to be getting visits more regularly, but as far as I am aware only from 1 bird at a time.
    I am sure your photo`s are still better than my digiscoped record shots!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.