Monday 18 June 2012

Little Bittern

Another weekend, another `twitch`.

With a visit to see my Dad planned on Sunday for Father`s Day and a `lifer` showing 20 miles from where my parents live, I decided to reduce my carbon footprint somewhat by doing both journeys in one go.

An adult female Little Bittern had been present at Rickmansworth Aquadrome for the past week, frequenting a small river and being remarkably `showy` for such a shy species. I had visions of adding another `tick` in my book. The sun was shining (a rarity in itself!) as I pulled into the car park where I was greeted by a few birders that had also just arrived. We all asked each other if any of us knew where to go, none of us did, but we found a map of the area and saw the location of the Little Bittern. We walked to the site, getting lost once, but there was no chance of missing the area as we were greeted by the following;


The bird was showing, but was constantly obscured by reeds, however I did get my first views of a Little Bittern in the U.K. and the world. She was constantly fishing, catching sticklebacks with consummate ease and at one point caught a newt, but was eventually flushed from her reedbed by a pair of Canada Geese, so I saw the bird in flight! Her new location was found, but whilst I was on site the bird never showed in the open and with my Dad expecting me, I left.

The only photo I have is below, a little obscured by reeds, but the bird is there;


For some better photos of this lovely bird click here.

The Little Bittern is a rare vagrant to our shores, although the species has bred here, in 1984 at a place called Potteric Carr in South Yorkshire, but there are an average of 5 sightings per year. A bird that is the size of a Moorhen and more at home in the warmer climes of Europe and the Middle East.

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic John and the image is great.. far better than some of my "record" shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew,
      Thank you, I just wish that it had perched a bit more in the open while I was there. Still, at least I saw it, that`s the main thing!
      J

      Delete
  2. Well done for seeing it John; and braving that bunch lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith,
      It wasn`t that bad, I have pointy elbows! ;)
      J

      Delete
  3. I am sure you enjoyed your weekend and the bit of view of this life bird for you, had to have been thrilling~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Yes, a very enjoyable day was had. A cracking bird to add to my list!
      J

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was indeed Alan, even if it was constantly hiding ;)
      J

      Delete
  5. Well done John! You're on a roll with rare birds at the moment :-) Y ou did well to get the photo with that crowd, I think they would have put me off a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. With things being a bit stagnant locally, I am taking advantage of a couple of rarities turning up. It wasn`t that bad, I have been at far worst twitches where punches have been thrown and scopes broken! (not by me, I hasten to add) It`s crazy sometimes!
      J

      Delete
  6. This shy bird must have been great to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Cuby Poet, a thrilling experience!
      J

      Delete
  7. Hi John!! Cracking bird & good to meet you!! Thanks for the link also!! Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      My pleasure, I just wish I had the views that you managed, but time was against me! Thanks for the `Follow`!
      J

      Delete
  8. You birders are so dedicated. Dave waited five-and-a-half hours for his great pictures of this rarity!
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedicated and crazy I think! Although I may have stayed longer if I had the time, it has been known for me to wait 6 hours for a glimpse before! Hope you liked the photos on Dave`s blog!
      J

      Delete
  9. Hi John,
    Wow, that's awesome. And the dedication to get that glimpse of such a rare bird is to be admired. Nice to know the Canada Geese were of some help :)
    Peaceful wishes to you,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary,
      Thank you, although some would disagree with you on the dedication thing, they think it`s something else entirely! Yes, the geese enabled me (and the assembled crowd) to get a nice view of the bird in flight, something you don`t see that often!
      J

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! :) If you joined the crowd muttering about the 'other one' just down the path, would they move as one, giving you a clear shot? Praps that's not birding etiquette though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Omi,
      Somehow, I don`t think that would have worked! ;) I just keep telling myself that I saw the bird, that is the main thing!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.