Monday 18 November 2013

Great Grey Shrike on a grey day


A wet, murky, miserable day and I found myself at Holme village in Cambridgeshire in order to see this Great Grey Shrike that seems to have taken up residence close to the railway line. This is one of two birds that are in very close proximity to each other, approximately a couple of miles separates the two birds, which has led to two Great Grey Shrikes being seen on the same day in the PBC area, a first (I think!). During my visit the bird was pretty active, catching beetles and at one point catching a shrew or a mouse, it was too distant to be able to tell! Hopefully, this bird will over winter, leading to better views in better weather!

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic shot,great tick.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Not an everyday occurrence by any means!
      J

      Delete
  2. How wonderful for you! Such a striking bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou Mary! It was/is a special bird and very popular with the local birdwatchers.
      J

      Delete
  3. Hope it lingers long enough for me to get up there as I spent a lot of time the other winter trying to see a bird that took up residence near me, but never did set eyes on the little devil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is showing all the signs of hanging around John, although now that I have said that, it will fly away overnight!
      J

      Delete
  4. A lovely bird I have never seen John... many thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew! A special bird indeed.
      J

      Delete
  5. Well done John, I haven't seen one in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! This is my first for a couple of years.
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.