Saturday 16 November 2013

Juvenile Shag at Stamford



A fairly common bird on the coast, but pretty scarce inland. This is only the second Shag that I have seen in the PBC area, adding to my year list nicely. The bird had been reported a few days previously on the Lincolnshire Bird Club website, but news only filtered through to me on Wednesday this week, but I need not have feared, as the bird was still present close to the weir at Hudd's Mill on the River Welland in Stamford.

A smaller relation to the more common (inland) Cormorant, which can be told apart from its' larger cousin by its' size and overall shape (it being a lot slimmer), uniformly pale brown plumage and it also has a thinner and more yellow bill.

8 comments:

  1. Great shots John and a nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy,
      Yes, it keeps my list ticking along nicely!
      J

      Delete
  2. I feel well-equipped to recognise a Juvenile Shag if I see one now.
    I hope the editors of Viz don't see this post, phnaw, phnaw!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could be of some help Bazza!
      As I used to get called Finbarr, because of my surname, I do hope they don't!
      J

      Delete
  3. Wonderful image, nice lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou Mary,
      On one of the few days when it has been sunny and I have been able to do some birding!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.