Saturday 12 April 2014

Pied-billed Grebe at Rutland Water


I received a phone call on Wednesday afternoon from my friend Chris Orders to inform me that a pretty rare bird had been reported from Rutland Water, a 3* mega rarity in the shape of a Pied-billed Grebe, no less! This small bird is a normally found in America, although a couple can turn up over here every year, and I had yet to add it to my life list, a twitch was on the cards!

With the evenings now drawing out that little bit more I was able to finish work, get home and ready in time for Chris to pick me up and by 6.45pm we were enjoying views of this lovely little bird, quite happily swimming around the small bay close to the sailing club. Another tick!


The Pied-billed Grebe is a little larger than 'our' Little Grebe and in breeding plumage has the obvious thick, heavy, pied bill, a giveaway if seen well. In fact, so similar are these two birds that in 1993 an adult Pied-bill paired with a Little Grebe in Cornwall and hatched three young!

8 comments:

  1. Nice one John.
    You're certainly clocking up these 'rare' ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I am trying to increase my species list, but work is tending to get in the way!
      J

      Delete
  2. Blimey. If they can't tell each other apart what chance does a birder have?
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bazza,
      I know, makes you wonder, doesn't it?!
      J

      Delete
  3. Well done John,lucky you.
    Great tick,superb captures.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,
      Been waiting a while to get one relatively close to me!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.