Monday 9 March 2015

White Stork at Ferry Meadows CP


I switched my phone on this morning and was greeted by a message from Mike Weedon that was left on Sunday morning, informing me that a White Stork had been seen at Ferry Meadows. Hysteria started to set in as I have never seen a wild White Stork in the U.K. and was feeling gripped at potentially missing out on this bird. However, it was revealed that the bird in question was an escapee from the local exotic pet refuge in Deeping St.James, so hysteria subsided. I managed to pay a visit to the site in question in between jobs this morning where the bird (named Klio apparently) was still present on Horse meadow, showing and feeding well, flying a few times, but always returning to the same field.









I will have to wait for my 'wild' bird.

6 comments:

  1. Nice shooting all the same John.
    There was one (wild) a few years ago near Newborough which most of the local Birders was able to see. I'm surprised you didn't see that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy! Yes, that bird was before my time in Peterborough, 2005 and I wasn't a twitcher back then either, so I missed it. Hopefully one will come along soon!
      J

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful specimen whether it's 'wild' or not. Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bettyl! He was/is a lovely bird, although he had a poorly foot which was one of the reasons why he was in the pet refuge.
      J

      Delete
  3. Not being a proper birder, I don't mind seeing escapees! It's a very handsome bird, fugitive from justice or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still liked seeing the bird Simon, just a shame that he wasn't truly wild, just in the wild.
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.