Tuesday 1 March 2016

Long-eared Owl in Cambridgeshire



I have never had the 'clearest' of views of a Long-eared Owl, not surprising really as they are famous for roosting in dense, thick shrubbery and staying stock still. This is probably the best views that I have had of this shy and secretive bird, only 15-20 metres from my vantage point, but always obscured, although some people who know of the site have been walking closer to try and achieve a clear view! Hopefully, this sort of idiotic behaviour will not disturb the bird.

A smaller owl than a lot of people realise, noticeably smaller than a Tawny Owl and about the same size as a Barn Owl. A bird that is pretty much nocturnal, although it can be crepuscular as well.

10 comments:

  1. I hope their "enthusiasm" doesn't scare the bird. The daftest behaviour I've ever seen is when people act in this way to get a clear view of a Nightingale. Why? It's just a little brown bird, lets just sit back and enjoy the wonderful song - and then, with luck, they sometimes show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can call it enthusiasm in this instance John, it's plain stupidity. I have heard people mentioning taking some secateurs to cut away the branches! It's just selfish, irresponsible behaviour.
      J

      Delete
  2. There's several of them living in similar hedges along the Sustrans 64 along here. I've never seen one myself. They are incredibly hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very difficult to see Simon, even when you know where they are! They just blend into the background.
      J

      Delete
  3. A great find none the less, John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you have seen it John.
    I didn't realise it was that small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Roy. Yes, I think a lot of people have visions of a bird like an Eagle Owl, but these are a lot smaller.
      J

      Delete
  5. Hi John. I was forced to go to Google Images to get a good look at his bird. In some pictures their faces look remarkably like cats! It's round eyes also make it look startled - maybe it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am outraged at that Bazza! ;) surely my images are mind blowingly brilliant enough for you to get a good look! When their eyes are open they are apparently annoyed and disturbed.
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.